Ten Simple Steps for Writing a Successful Research Paper
You’ve been given a research paper assignment, so you’d like to put together a paper that will be impressive as well as earn you a winning grade. Start slow if you need to but stay consistent and motivated by writing a paper with information that interests you.
10 Steps to Create a Winning Paper with Ease
- Step 1. Get prepared. Make sure you have set aside time in your schedule to work on your paper without distractions. Ensure that you understand the paper’s deadline and requirements for content and structure.
- Step 2. Choose the right topic. This is one of the most important steps because your topic will act as the baseline for your entire paper and bring everything together on one focal point.
- Step 3. Make a rough outline. Start out with a very tentative outline using numbers or bullets to label the different sections, including introduction, body, and conclusion. Then go through and start making subtopics and refining each section.
- Step 4. Research. Start browsing papers and articles with similar topics. This will help you get a feel for what information is already out there and how you can use this material to shape your own paper while avoiding plagiarism.
- Step 5. Stay organized. You need to make sure each section of your paper has a clear direction and all of your additional sources are relevant. If you feel you are struggling or drifting to a different topic, go back to Steps 2 and 3.
- Step 6. Gather data. In order to support and answer your arguments or questions, you will need to have well-sourced and accurate data to back up your claims.
- Step 7. Finish a draft. At this point you should have gathered enough information to turn your outline into a draft. Each section should have most of the content typed out and your main points should be fully included.
- Step 8. Edit and proofread. You will need to start going through your paper and making sure it has good flow and logical progression of information. Did you provide enough data and background information? Do your conclusions make sense and are your results clear?
- Step 9. Edit and proofread some more! Pay attention to spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Take a break and come back to your paper to proofread again. Have someone else read your paper and ask them how it can be improved.
- Step 10. Pull it all together. Does your paper feel complete, organized, and well-executed? Have you met all the requirements and made all the appropriate edits? Refer to earlier steps until you are satisfied.
Writing an amazing research paper doesn’t have to be stressful. This is your chance to be creative and develop your ability to produce interesting information that will have a positive impact on readers.